Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Poll to Ponder and an Event to Plan

I came across this poll conducted recently by the Kaiser Family Foundation and want to share it with all you readers! Here's a link to a page on the website that will allow you to view the complete report of the poll findings: http://www.kff.org/kaiserpolls/8186.cfm. The report is 35 pages and highly interesting. What I found most intriguing was the part about the "declining sense of national urgency" which said fewer Americans name HIV as the top health problem for the US. This result is followed by the findings that people hear less about HIV through social media. Is that because of the declining sense of urgency? Or is it the other way around? Similarly, another one of the top findings showed that not many participants could name a national leader for the fight against HIV/AIDS. Regardless of how you look at it (the lack of urgency caused the lack of attention and focus, or the lack of coverage led to the decrease in urgency), the HIV problem is still huge and needs attention. July 18th is Nelson Mandela Day which is basically a day of service. I'd like to do something with AFCA to really get the word out there about HIV but I need your help! I've got a few ideas of my own but I welcome anyone to share their thoughts and ideas with me and maybe we could really pull something spectacular together! Comment on this with any ideas or questions. Hopefully I'll make some more concrete plans for the day and let everyone know soon!

No comments: